Thursday, July 2, 2009

Ambitious


I'll admit I don't know much about spiders and how they operate. I know the classic image of spinning a web, waiting for a fly to get caught in it, then sneaking over to subdue the captive with poison for a later meal. I suppose this little guy started out the same way and just happened to snare a caterpillar. I can't help but wonder what the spider thought when he found it. Excitement. Perhaps a little trepidation. Imagine finding a whale in your rabbit trap, still alive. How would you feel?

This guy went to work, stabbing and spinning more web, wrangling the struggling caterpillar. I snapped photos, feeling mildly guilty, like watching a violent crime in progress, one that I could easily stop. Then again, the caterpillars eat my garden vegetables and form cocoons all over the side of the house. I might be on the spider's side.

Eventually I cut the caterpillar loose, letting him fall to the ground, leaving the spider confused and in retreat. I'm not sure if it was too late for the squirmy fella, as that was the limit of my participation.

No comments:

Post a Comment